Common Case Scenarios in Colorado Small Claims Courts

Filed Under (Small Claims) on 05-17-2013

Filing a small claims lawsuite, small claims, how to file small claims

The laws and rules pertaining to Small Claims Court  spell out certain requirements that must be met before a case is eligible to be heard as a small claim. All cases must meet the basic rules for time and dollar amount limits (1-6 years, depending on type of case and not more than $7,500).  The main rule regarding the types of cases that are eligible is that only cases in which you are seeking money from another party can be brought in Small Claims Court. You cannot get divorced in Small Claims Court, you cannot evict someone from an apartment, you cannot change your name, you cannot sue for libel or slander, you cannot sue your employer for wrongful discharge, nor can you get an injunction or restraining order.

Given that Small Claims Courts have heard thousands and thousands of cases over the years, chances are, no matter how strange your case may seem, a small claims judge has seen it already!

Here are some of the most common types of case situations that come up in Small Claims Court:

●    A customer suing a business to return a deposit for goods never delivered or services never performed.

●    A driver suing another driver for damages caused to the former’s automobile.

●    A small business seeking to recover from someone who has written a bad check to pay for goods or services.

●    An employee of a small business who was paid with a bad check.

●    A loan which the other party refuses to repay.

●    A customer suing a dry cleaning business because an article of clothing was lost or damaged.

●    A tenant suing a landlord for refusing to return a security deposit.

●    A landlord suing a tenant for damages to an apartment.
●    A car owner suing a garage for faulty motor vehicle repairs.

For more information about the small claim process, see “Winning Big in Colorado Small Claims Court: How to Sue and Collect”, by Charles P. Brackney, Esq.