Filing Colorado Quitclaim Deeds

Filed Under (Colorado Deeds) on 11-15-2011

quit claim deed, quitclam deeds, transfer property, filing quitclaim deeds Avoiding the Two Most Common Mistakes Made When Filing Colorado Quitclaim Deeds

By Rachel Brand

If you want to add your new spouse or family member as part owner of your home or transfer your interest in real property, you’ll likely use a Colorado quitclaim (or “quit claim”) deed. A quitclaim deed is a legal form that changes ownership on a property’s title. The person transferring the interest is the grantor. The person or organization receiving the interest is the grantee.

How to file a quitclaim deed

You can obtain a quitclaim deed from Bradford Publishing. You’ll need to sign it in front of a notary and get a notary’s signature. You will write the grantee’s name on the quitclaim deed, although in Colorado, the grantee does not sign the deed.  Finally, you need file the deed in the office of the County Clerk and Recorder in the county where the property is located.

Avoiding common errors

Unfortunately, when quitclaim deeds reach the County Assessor’s Office, they can be rejected. The most common problems, according to a representative from the Larimer County Assessor’s Transfer Department, are:

1)    The Colorado quitclaim deed lacks a legal description. The property’s legal description is not the address; it is the lot, block and subdivision name. You can find the legal description on your annual property tax bill or online at the county Assessor’s office. Make sure to use the legal description on the current property deed – if it includes special information, include that too.

Although many property descriptions are only a few lines long, some may run a page or more in length.  In this case, you can either attach a piece of paper containing the property description to the deed – and put a “see attached legal description” note on the deed itself – or you can use a quitclaim deed with an extra long space for the property description.

2)    The grantor’s name doesn’t match the name attached to the property in the records. This situation arises when the grantor marries (or divorces) and changes her name, and uses her new name on the quitclaim deed. 

This problem can be solved by using “also known as.”  For instance, you can write, “Mrs. Jones A.K.A Mrs. Smith” in the grantor section of your quitclaim deed.

For more information about quitclaim deeds, check out Bradford Publishing’s guide, “Understanding Colorado Quitclaim and Warranty Deeds.”

  • April Johnson

    It is very informative blog and I will share it to all my friends according Quitclaim deeds here in Colorado.
    Keep up the good worlk.

  • Colleen McManamon

    Are there any other documents necessary to quit claim an interest in a condominium besides the Quitclaim Deed? Pursuant to a divorce, husband is quitclaiming his interest in a condo to Wife. I’ve prepared the Quitclaim Deed. Attached to the Warranty Deed from the purchase of the condo is a Real Property Transfer Declaration – do we need to complete another Real Property Transfer Declaration to accompany the Quitclaim Deed? Thanks for your help.

    • Melissa

      Hello, I apologize for the late response. We sell a lot of Quitclaim Deeds and normally a Real Property Transfer Declaration is not needed for your situation. But do be sure, you’ll want to check with the county your filing the deed in.

  • Ken

    My wife and I have a property in joint tenancy. She will be changing her name. Does she need to file a quitclaim? If so, who is the grantor (her old name)? Who is the grantee (her new name)? Does she sign it with her old name or new name? If old name, how can she have it notarized if her name has already been changed? Thanks!

    • Melissa

      Hello Ken, I apologize for the late reply. You may have these questions answered already, but just in case….yes, you will need a quitclaim deed to change your wife’s name on the deed. This is one of the top reasons people buy our quitclaim deeds, but I’m not sure how they’re signing it. I believe she would just sign her new name, but she may need to show the notary a document saying she was the previous name. To be sure, it is always a good idea to double check with an attorney. You can find local real estate attorneys on our website.

      Thanks for visiting our blog.


  • Sandra Ann

    Does a notary from Colorado have to sign off on it, or could a notary from a different state or country sign off?