The decision to hire an attorney depends upon assessing the situation — and then being honest with yourself about your ability to handle the matter on your own.
First, always consult an attorney for:
• Criminal charges
• If you are sued
• Employment issues (whether you are a business or an employee)
• Personal injuries
• Entering a franchise agreement
• Selling a business, or bringing new owners into a business.
Individuals may effectively handle family law matters, business transactions, estate planning, and tax issues. However, one has to consider the costs of time and expertise when deciding to act without an attorney.
Advantages of handling a legal issue yourself:
• There are Court-approved forms and books to help you.
• You can move quickly, not waiting for an attorney to get to your matter.
• You save money by not hiring an attorney.
Disadvantages of handling a legal issue yourself: Continue reading “Should I Hire an Attorney for My Legal Issue?” »